Thursday, September 20, 2012

Hudson Valley Professional Photographers Society of New York


I had a very long and fun phone conversation with Les Howard the other night, we were talking about what it was like for him being a photographer for the past 35 years and how much he still loved it  at past his retirement age, at one point he says to me: Mariana, If you want to meet some of the best photographers in the industry from our area you need to come to tomorrow’s meeting of HVPPSNY .  OK if you put it that way I have to go. Again another night I was not going to see Tom and David, but I figure it was worth my time and effort since they only meet once a month.

So on Wednesday after work, I drive to Orange county Choppers building, sadly the meeting was not there, but across the street in the Hilton Garden of Newburg NY.  I walk in and see a group of people at the bar in some sort of happy hour. Then I see the cameras around and I know I have arrived to the right place. I start talking to some of the folk’s introducing myself, Mariana Feely, Oh! Irish gir. Oh no ! that’s my husbands name, I’m 0% Irish 100% Venezuelan. So what do you shot? What’s your equipment? It was like a mini interview and then after that, we just start talking about the business, equipment, their experience. I just felt so excited to be with people that were as in love with photography as me.This must be how Star trek fans feel when they go to their conventions in their best Spock custom and start speaking in their Deep Space language to each other. Then to make it even better they were having a photo competition with all these hard core judges, I was blown away by the talent, I felt like I learned so much from their critics and it was overall a very cool night. I go home and I have at least 7 business cards in my purse and I start adding everyone on FB and looking at their websites.

You can go to their site and see some of the members work


No comments:

Post a Comment