Monday, May 21, 2012

I get by with a little help from my friends


“I get by with a little help from my friends,
I get high with a little help from my friends,
Going to try with a little help from my friends”.  The Beatles

You know how they say the key to success is motivation and perseverance, I agree with that, but what they should really say is that “friends” whatever the 21th century definition of that is, is the true key to success... even better your Network! I never really grasp the importance of networking till a couple of months ago, when I realized that from your family and friends to your Facebook friends and blog followers your network really is the key to success. For instance I’ve tried to start a photography business before, only to find myself lost in the woods of information and ridiculous amount of waste of time. Then I had a baby and I turned 30 and it was like life gave me a gift (more like a slap in the face) Hey! Chica wake up, if you want to really be a photographer get your act together and make a plan.
Is that when my plan began? Nop, but that is when I asked myself, how do I get a plan? And my research started. Blogs, websites, facebook account, google searches and then I picked my groups:

Online: moms with cameras, mom togs, jasmine star These women spoke to me, had a voice I could relate to. My flickr groups are full of great photographers willing to help out with questions. And more then

The locals: my community I found a local group of photographers that meet once a month for $30 a year for classes, photography advice, classes and even road trips.

Friends: started offering my free services to family and friends to get a portfolio going and also some god all practice.  Rather learn from my mistakes with them than with a $2,000 wedding.

And the most important one, my husband TF, who has been more then understanding and supporting by staying with our son, while I’m of doing a photo shoot for half a day around somewhere. This is the way your partner shows real support, taking care of the things you can’t while working!

After that overload of information went away, I have found a nice spot to grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment